Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I Got Bit By The Gardening Bug

I can't help it! Every year the same thing happens. Dh says, "So honey, what do you want to plant in the garden this year?" and I usually respond, "Oh, I don't think I have time for a garden this year, after all we have school, music, church activities......and what about the expense..."
All the while that seed has been planted..in my head. So today, I had a little gift that was given to me by our good friend Nick, who loves flowers, too. He blessed us with this little kit that has been sitting on my window sill since December, waiting for springtime. Well.....springtime is here, almost?



So I put together the kit and had lots of seeds leftover so I dug around in my gardening bins and found some leftover peat pots and potting soil and now I will have lots of herbs I hope. OK, that was when the gardening bug bit! It must have been the dirt, I love playing in it!



Dh must have been delighted (he loves to garden but has difficulty also finding the time) when I telephoned him in the middle of the day to ask, so how inexpensively can we do our garden this year? Earlier in the week we had looked at the Earthtainer method but decided that was too much outlay this year. I also had a good friend suggest using things that we already had, just implement the ideas in different form. That too, seemed like a lot of thought work. At dh's suggestion, I just went out to do some spring clean up in the flower beds and look what I found!


My Purple Coneflower or Echinacea. I have planted many over time however, I have never had any overwinter and survive til the next spring, yea!


Of course, the beautiful Daffodils, signaling that spring is almost here.



This is my Blooming Magnolia. Last year was the first time it had ever bloomed and it has been planted here for at least 3 years. It is covered with a bloom at the end of each stem and will be in full color in a couple of weeks, yea!

These are some Hollyhocks that I planted last spring and I thought they had died as they never came up. Guess what, the aren't dead, yea!


And one lone strawberry!



And of course, the tulips are peeking out of their beds!

"While the earth remains,
Seed time and harvest,
Cold and heat,
Winter and summer,
And day and night
Shall not cease."
Genesis 8:22 NKJV

May God bless all of your endeavors this day, Suzie

No comments: