Last year, during out adventure through the Old Testament, we studied about the Tabernacle that the Children of Israel built under the direction of Moses. Here is a picture of their project and the directions to follow.
As our guide to this activity we used the Bible and a small but priceless little book called The Kregel Pictorial Guide to the Tabernacle by Dr. Tim Dowley. This book was mostly text from the scriptures about the tabernacle, condensed into one resource. It had actual photographs of what was being described, which helped children visualize what the finished product would be like.
The requirements for this project were that
1) The finished product was to be a scale model, meaning same of everything just smaller
2) They were to do all the measuring and calculations for the project. They would give them to me and I would go buy the supplies. The cost for this project wound up being around $50.00
3) They were to work together (ds-11, dd-9)
They achieved their goals and we proudly displayed this project at our end of unit celebration.
The actual dimensions of the plywood was 3 1/2 x 5 feet, cut by the hardware store
We used leftover acrylic paints for the plywood (brown) and posts (gold)
The posts were made from 1/2 inch dowel rods
To attach the posts, using a Dremmel tool, they drilled small holes in the plywood and in the center of each dowel. Using finishing nails from underneath and a bit of wood glue, then sliding the dowel onto the nail. Allow to dry.
When dry, attach a small eye screw to the top of each dowel. When curtains are prepared, thread string and curtains.
Curtain fabric was inexpensive cotton with an unbleached look. The inner curtains were a bright blue with iridescent green and red running through it. I found this fabric in the 'end piece' barrel. The outer layer we did not attach but simply laid in place. It was a fake fur that I had purchased previously for a goat project.
All the fabric was cut with a pinking sheer blade into 7 inch strips. We sewed a 1 inch pocket in the top of each strip and then cut the strips (after sewing) into 5 inch lengths. The curtains could then be hung. Dd 9 did most of the sewing. I did the cutting as I wasn't ready to let her loose with the rotary cutter.
The strings were secured with a slip knot and a thumb tack to resemble a large nail
The furniture pieces were all made with bakeable clay that you can get at any craft store. They were painted with leftover acrylic paints.
I hope you have as much fun with your kids and this project as I did with mine. They learned bunches too. Blessings for a great day, Suzie